NEW VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS
VITA is a 4 to 5 month commitment. Training is held in the Winter (December through January) followed by volunteering in Spring (February through April). To volunteer in the spring, participants must first pass the IRS’ VITA Certification Exam. This is released in late November and available through training season. No previous experience with or knowledge of taxes is required.
If you’re a new volunteer with no tax experience at all, here is what you can expect:
- Volunteer orientation (1 hour)
- Pre-season tax law and software training (24 hours)
- Practice and additional prep-work between class/study sessions (10 hours)
- Pass the IRS VITA certification exam online
- Volunteer one shift per week at the same VITA site for 8-12 weeks during the tax season (beginning of February through mid-April)
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING
- Commitment is only 4-5 months out of the year and ends in time for summer break!
- Being part of a unique team of incredibly passionate and supportive volunteers
- Gaining knowledge about basic tax law
- Earning actual IRS VITA certification in order to serve as a tax volunteer
- Engaging in meaningful volunteer work and really making a difference
- Assisting people who need help – people who are truly grateful for your assistance
- Returning volunteers have opportunities for leadership roles or advanced training.
Click Here for Training Resources